Sunday 21 December 2008

Lessons in speaking Indian

I have learnt that when Indian people don't understand you (which is always), rather than trying to just repeat things really slowly and loudly like an annoying Brit abroad, it's just better to give in and say what you want in an Indian accent. I thought that by doing this constantly on a daily basis that it would decrease in comedy value. However, it seems to be one of those things that just gets funnier every time. I have no idea if Indian people realise that i'm doing it or not but they definitely understand me better as soon as I do it. They probably wonder why I laugh hysterically in their faces afterwards though. Here are some of my favourites, and the phrases that I say the most:

Bottle of water = vader boddle
Toilet paper = dayled peypah
Toast with some butter = buddered dost
Railway station = vailvay stashon
Two = doo
Fifteen = biffteen
Sugar seperate = soogar seppe-rret
Finger chips = pinger chipz
Contour road (the road i live on) = gondor rowd

No comments: